I have had a lot experiences and thoughts about open mindedness. I am fully aware of the fear people have concerning those of us who have ventured out in uncharted waters of thought and process. Open mindedness is not something you usually equate to religious people. But certainly Spiritual people have learned to embrace new things, thoughts, and realities. I am pretty sure I could write books on this subject, but I will give you the cliff note version.
When we used to travel all over I remember one of my biggest challenges was the Leadership. I have always never been satisfied with the status quo. I have always sought new ways of doing things, thinking things, system updates etc. So coming into churches and leadership training I would always bring new ideas to the table. I quickly learned that it wasn’t difficult to get the people to think new things, but my number one challenge was the thought processes of the leadership and people. Someone asked me during a radio interview about what is one of the things that are my biggest challenges in working with churches. I told them, ‘The hardest thing to change is the MIND’.
And lets face it, we all have experienced change in our lives. We will go through that process of change either via the way of Love and choice, or suffering the reality of fighting the will and choice. The most important thing in our lives is our thoughts. It is the key to life, freedom, and spirituality. It is the only channel for change of any kind.
Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
So here are the 8 Characteristics of Open Mindedness:
1. An open mind is NOT merely a gullible mind.
2. An open mind is NOT necessarily a skeptic against the norm or against the established realm.
3. An open mind is NOT: not open to Change: All change and new perspective come from a space of open mindedness.
4. An open mind is NOT merely being relative or siding with current culture.
5. An open mind is NOT wishy washy; and or lacks a backbone.
6. An open mind is NOT having a (non opinion).
7. An open mind is NOT: not believing in (non Essential Truths, or the Concreteness of them)
8. An open mind is NOT a non spiritual reality.